Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Mile under X minutes .

Sir Roger Bannister created history in 1954 by becoming the first man to run a mile in under 4 minutes representing Oxford(Note that he was not knighted for that! His contribution also in the field of Neurology as a outstanding and world famous surgeon fetched him that award).

But I can run 2 miles in just 13 minutes! Thats my record. However, there seems to be a rider to that! I can run this distance in a better time only on a treadmill where I set the speed of the treadmill and decide not to change it. It gets tough but I can manage to complete the distance successfully within the time. However, if I run on the athletic track, I need to run 8 rounds of the 400m track which takes close to 14-15 minutes :-( .

Question of weak will power ? Am I just another brick in the wall ?

Current mood: Deflated :-(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thats pretty amazing - your 13 minute record! It may seem like the tradmill and the road are almost the same, but I think the differences are:

1) road since is entirely stationary, I'd say you're doing 100% of the work in getting yourself forward. Whereas in a treadmill, it is doing a significant amount of work as well, and you are doing relatively lesser work.

2) A treadmill is in a pretty closed environment, no distractions and more concentration. On the track there are other things, if not anything else, the wind. Also, running on the track shows you how much you have physically moved, whereas on the treadmill its just a number, so thats another distraction where you're keeping track to a greater degree of how far you've run.

4) The track also has turnings which reduce speed.

Ultimately the 4 minute mile was a psychological breakthrough, because after that a lot more people did it. IMO it was not a question of having will power. It was more a question of completely forgetting that it wasn't possible!