Thursday, June 16, 2005

Is this a shopping experience ?

After coming to the US, I have somewhat missed that amazing shopping experience that I used to experience in Bangalore. It is not that I was a shopping freak or something. It was that superb window shopping experience in Jayanagar 4th Block that is irreplaceable here in the USA.

All that I see in the US are chains ! There is Subway, Mc Donalds , Arby's , Wendys, ... huh the list goes on. You see one... you have seen them all ! The malls look the same wherever you go! They are omnipresent ! They look the same wherever you go. Even the towns and small cities look the same. They are structured in exactly the same way. Exits off Interstates and a couple of miles drive and lo and behold... you see a town with all the above chains, a walmart and a Best Western hostel !

So what is unique to a town that distinguishes a town here ?

And the one pleasure that I miss is walking in crowds ! Here people don't jostle, don't rush and to top it all, they stop and say Thank You and Sorry to Everything !!!

2 comments:

Kishan said...

Good thought!

Look I am a Shopping freak! I'd love to buy vegetable in K R market, I love shopping in Shopper Stop, to ASDA(Walmart's UK Hypermarket). At the same time that I agree that happiness that we get by going round and round and round and round...(it continues) in 4th Block Jayanagr, that too with friends CANNOT BE REPLACED BY ANYTHING ELSE ON EARTH"

Regarding Sorry/Thankyou for everything,is OK, not that bad..
One more thing is holding the door open for others is also one pratcie that I found interesting here...

enigma said...

Hi!
Even I am a big shopping freak.. but even after having all the big malls coming up in Bangalore.. therz a charm and excitement in shopping at 4th Blk Jayanagar which .. as u have said .. is 'Irreplaceable'