Sunday, July 17, 2005

Look at the means, not the end!

कर्मण्यॆवाधिकारस्तॆ मा फलेषु कदाचन |
मा कर्मफलहेतुर्भूर्मा ते संगोस्त्वकर्मणि ॥


Hmmm...
Been thinking and thinking and thinking about this. I have read this shloka and heard it said a hundred times... Sri Krishna himself couldn't have packed more into these two lines of Bhagavad Gita(2nd Adhyaya, 47th shloka)!

How often do we just enjoy what we are doing without thinking about the end ? When will we actually realize that the end is not just everything ?

Sri Krishna says that our business is to act; the action is our business not the result. HE does not say there is no result. There is bound to be a result. Every action will have a result. But it is not our business to look for the result.

What a profound thought.

Current Mood: Contemplative
Current Music: Something is playing. I am just hearing it, not 'listening'.

5 comments:

Kishan said...

Ufortunately, I could not see the Shloka, But I could get the gist from ur blog.

I too feel its true. Most of teh time I mess up with what I am doing because I would have thought too much about the result, and as though I know the result, I dont concentrate on what I am doing.

You dont know what your post has done to me. I was in a "Jignasa" since i CAME BACK FROM uk. I feel I have a solution for that If start thinking in this direction. Suddenly something clicked in me and my whole thought process since last two weeks which were bothering me a lot seems to have assumed an different angle all together.

Its a Good piece of advice from the BOSS..to bear in mind always and do accordingly

Anonymous said...

Karmanyeva adhikarasthu indeed.. but I can't help but wonder why you have not continued the tag chain :(

NN.

Anonymous said...

We always get it wrong with our Hindu shlokas. These shlokas are to be looked into and analysed only AFTER we do all the work. Not before we do the work. The whole of Bhagvad gita is a psychology thingie and nothing more. Well after we realise this it does no help whatsoever.

Unknown said...

Hi Anonymous...
What do you mean 'AFTER' we do all the work ? I can only think of the deathbed when you mean after 'all' the work.

Why cant you take feedback from it by reading it after completing some work and follow it in your next job?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm,
The thing worrying me is to worry or not worry comes later. First of all we shd have a goal in mind to expect or not expect result...
Am trying to contemplate on this .. What's my goal?
Aimless working is definitely not good, I s'pose?

Ramya