Friday, July 22, 2005

Self-reliance or kanjoos !??!

I don't know if I was being miserly or self-reliant ! I hope you can help me clear it ...

Here in USA, spares are extremely expensive and 3-4 small spare parts together add up to more than the original cost itself! And no need to talk about manpower cost... It is lost somewhere amongst the skyscrapers :-(

What happened was this. My cycle had a puncture. Here at the local bike shop, they dont mend punctures; they replace it with a new tube! And all spares carry with them instructions about how to replace the item. And the replacement cost is $10 with the cost of the tube being $3(for cycle for which I paid $49!!!) ! So I decided to do it myself...

But the argument I had with someone was this: Was I an example of self-reliance or miserliness ? I agree that one one hand I was forced to do it to save about $10(which does mean something to me on a student stipend!) but then most things you buy in the USA have instructions which means that you should be able to fix almost anything yourself. Thats why Home Depot and such stores make a huge business (ppl build homes also themselves!).








Current Mood : Confused

5 comments:

Kishan said...

It was absolutely reasonable on your part to do things yourself, provided you had the time to do it.
I would call it SELF-RELIANCE!

Kishan said...

mathyaake Sikapatte sanna adhange kanstha Idhya, Are U Alright?

Unknown said...

guruuuu...saNNaanaa ??!?!? ayyayyappa... illi sikkapaTTe cheesy stuff thindu oodideeni ...

nammaneli yenadru hinge heLbiTyaa aamele... nammamma naaLene phone maaDi ooTada bagge lecture koDthaare :D

Kishan said...

OOL Hodi bedappa Sikapatte sanna agidhya

Anonymous said...

actually depends - bari dhud uLsok maathra thale kedskothaidhre - kanjoos, aadhre dhul uLsodh allade ondh thara enterprisingaagi non-professional job maadok hortidhre self-reliant antha naan andhothini ;-)